The Salzburg Capuchin Monastery has become an integral part of the cityscape of Salzburg. The monastery with a history that goes back a long time before Christ is definitely worth a visit.
Origin and history of the Capuchin monastery
The Capuchin monastery has a long history. At the then “Imberg” there were living quarters on the east garbage against the Gnigl district during the younger Stone Age. Around 1,000 BC, two places of residence above the Capuchin monastery were also known. In the Middle Ages, a defensive tower stood on the site of today’s monastery. When Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich Raitenau brought the Capuchins to Salzburg in 1594, he decided to convert the fortified building called “Trompeterschlößchen” into a monastery with a church and to settle the Capuchin order here.
The Capuchins lived a quiet life for a long time. In the years 1939 to 1945 the people were exiled from the monastery. The plan was to build a new festival hall, a Gauhalle and a stadium. However, the plans were never implemented.
Construction and style of the Capuchin monastery Salzburg
The monastery is a simple building in accordance with the Capuchin religious regulations, but the building with the bastion in front, the towering cross and the forest in the background is impressive and graceful and visible from afar. A work of art of rank forms the inner portal, the oak door of which probably comes from the old Salzburg Cathedral. The interior of the monastery church is simply designed.
Starting from the Felix gate, the Kapuzinerbergmauer encircles the monastery, creating the impression of a double wall. The wall runs along the western, southern and eastern landslide. At the northern point of the wall is the “Franziski-Schlößl”, which was built by Prince Archbishop Paris Lodron. The so-called “Paschinger-Schlößl” on Kapuzinerberg was the residence of the famous writer Stefan Zweig at the beginning of the 20th century. In 1988 Pope John Paul II lived in the Capuchin monastery while visiting Salzburg.
The Capuchin monastery is a listed building and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The monastery is open from Monday to Saturday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (in summer until 8 p.m.) and on Sundays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (in summer until 8 p.m.). There is no possibility of viewing during a service.
Arrival and location of the monastery
Address: Kapuzinerberg 6, 5020 Salzburg
walk in 5 minutes over the Imbergstiege from Steingasse / Giselakai
More information about the Order of the Capuchins